List:       openldap-devel
Subject:    Re: redesigning the client API
From:       Howard Chu <hyc () symas ! com>
Date:       2004-12-02 17:58:08

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

>Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>

>>At 02:26 PM 12/1/2004, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>>

>>>Some other wishes - not sure of what you'd think of as part of one of
>>>the other APIs, and what you'd think of as a separate API:
>>>
>>>- Event loop support:
>>> Ability to plug ldap into an event loop, so e.g. incoming LDAP
>>> results provide events.
>>>

>>First, the LDAP encoding API would provide access to encoded
>>PDUs.  The client would not be required to use our sockbuf
>>library.
>>

>I don't see how that makes any difference, if one must still call the
>library to check if there is a new LDAP response available.  To wait for
>e.g. next <LDAP response or input to some other socket>, one needs to
>select() on something, so one needs to know which file descriptors to
>select() on.  Thus:

If you rephrase this expectation a bit, I could agree with it. Since
there may be multiple communication layers involved (e.g. TLS and/or
SASL security layer), getting a positive indication from select() only
means there is *something* available, not necessarily a (complete) LDAP
response.

--
  -- Howard Chu