List:       openjms-developer
Subject:    [openjms-developer] Connection pooling - dropping support for tyrex, proxool
From:       "Tim Anderson" <tma () netspace ! net ! au>
Date:       2003-07-01 7:35:39

OpenJMS uses old versions of tyrex (http://tyrex.sourceforge.net) and
proxool (http://proxool.sourceforge.net) for connection pooling. The
versions of
each are no longer readily available, which makes it hard to migrate the
build
environment over to maven.
Tyrex 1.0 is available, but is buggy and not actively maintained, and
the latest version of proxool requires JDK 1.3.

To cut a fat story thin, I want to drop support for both
tyrex and proxool, and replace them with commons-dbcp
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp)
Standardising on a single connection pool implementation will
cut down the number of configurations we have to test for
each release.
Anyone who wants to plug in their own connection pool will
still be able to.

Comments?

Thanks,

Tim