List:       openjdk-zero-dev
Subject:    latest pr323 patch for ARM - MKBC Bytecode Interpreter generator documentation
From:       xerxes () zafena ! se (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Xerxes_R=E5nby?=)
Date:       2010-08-20 9:52:42

On 2010-08-17 04:12, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 08/16/10 03:15, Gary Benson wrote:
>

>> are wrong, I think.  To clear the frame pointer, you set
>> last_Java_*sp* to zero.  So that should have been left as is.
>> If last_Java_sp is zero then the frame pointer is cleared and
>> the value of last_Java_fp is never read.
>>
>> By the way, it's worth trying this with a debug build, so that
>> assertions are on.
>>
> I reverted bytecodes_arm.def, as all the changes I made in that file
> were like this example. (setting the FP instead of the SP to 0). But if
> SP is being set to a non 0 value, then I left the other changes alone.
> Those follow the sequence of setting SP to 0, then set FP to the top
> Zero frame, and SP to the top of the stack. (THREAD_JAVA_SP)
>
> I have a newer patch with these changes incorporated at:
> http://www.senecass.com/projects/OpenJDK-ARM/thumb2-081610.patch. I used
> "hg log -p -r", which I hope is ok. I'm slowly learning how to use
> mercurial.
>
> Right now, even with this patch it still segfaults here:
> 	do_aload_0 () at ./bytecodes_arm.s:419
>
> Which it did before and after this patch is applied.
>
> Looking at the contrib/mixtec-hacks.patch, I see this patch to
> openjdk/hotspot/make/linux/makefiles/product.make:
>
> -SYSDEFS += -DPRODUCT
> -VERSION = optimized
> +SYSDEFS += -DASSERT
> +VERSION = mixtec
>
> Which I assume will do the trick. I'll enable that and do a rebuild tonight.
>
> 	- rob -

The latest documentation available on the MKBC Bytecode Interpreter
generator are published on Ed's homepage:
http://camswl.com/openjdk/
  http://www.zen111407.zen.co.uk/openjdk_home.htm#BIG
  http://www.zen111407.zen.co.uk/openjdk/mkbc.htm

I am sure you will find this documentation useful while hacking on the
interpreters dispatch code.

Cheers and have a great day
Xerxes