List:       openjdk-swing-dev
Subject:    Re: <Swing Dev> RfR: JDK-8071334, Investigate JAB changes required to support the version string
From:       Pete Brunet <peter.brunet () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-12-10 15:21:42

On 12/10/15 3:17 AM, Alexander Scherbatiy wrote:

>  The fix looks good to me.
>
>  I have just a question about the commented roles like
> AccessibleRole.STATUS_BAR in the AccessBridge.
>  Are there use cases where they can be used?
This turns out to be an interesting question.  All those roles, while
they exist in javax.accessibility.AccessibleRole, are commented out in
the AccessBridge class (the trailing */ was removed from each role's
comment header - I had not noticed that prior to your question) so that
means that none of the ATVs (Assistive Technology Vendors) are using
them.  Since the advent of UI Automation the vendors have moved over to
that API for new work and have not requested changes to the JAB API so I
doubt those roles will be used in the future.  Note that for Swing the
ATVs use the JAB API for access since Swing does not provide a UIA
implementation since it did not exist when Swing was developed.  On the
other hand UIA is implemented in JavaFX and that is used by ATVs for
access to JavaFX apps.