List:       openjdk-swing-dev
Subject:    <Swing Dev> Polish translation of JFileChooser, JColorChooser and JOptionPane
From:       nathell () bach ! ipipan ! waw ! pl (Daniel Janus)
Date:       2008-06-09 18:14:59

Thanks for replying so fast!

> The process for making openjdk contributions is documented here :
> http://openjdk.java.net/contribute/

Yes, I've read that document.  Sorry for not having mentioned it.

While we're at it, the document mentions supplying a unit test.  Does
that also apply to the kind of contributions we're discussing here?
If so, any hints how such a unit-test might look like (i.e., what
should it test)?

> My sense here is that it would be preferable to have translations
> for all messages that are localised into other languages, not
> just the ones in these particular dialogs.
>
> Also since dialogs change, then an ongoing commitment to
> translate new strings would be best.

I agree that this situation would be ideal.  In reality, however,
translations tend to have omissions -- in the German translation for
JFileChooser, for instance, some items are left untranslated.  And
I probably can't cope with single-handedly translating the sheer volume
of .properties floating around the JDK code, much as I'd like to.

So probably I'll just submit a mercurial changeset within the next few
days or so, and then let the maintainers decide what to do with it.
Does that sound right?

Best regards,
Daniel Janus