List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    RFR: 8329332: Remove CompiledMethod and CodeBlobLayout classes
From:       Vladimir Kozlov <kvn () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2024-03-30 1:48:47

Revert [JDK-8152664](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8152664) RFE \
[changes](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/commit/b853eb7f5ca24eeeda18acbb14287f706499c365) \
which was used for AOT [JEP 295](https://openjdk.org/jeps/295) implementation in JDK \
9. The code was left in HotSpot assuming it will help in a future. But during work on \
Leyden we decided to not use it. In Leyden cached compiled code will be restored in \
CodeCache as normal nmethods: no need to change VM's runtime and GC code to process \
them.

I may work on optimizing `CodeBlob` and `nmethod` fields layout to reduce header size \
in separate changes. In these changes I did simple fields reordering to keep small (1 \
byte) fields together.

I do not see (and not expected) performance difference with these changes.

Tested tier1-5, xcomp, stress. Running performance testing.

I need help with testing on platforms which Oracle does not support.

Commit messages:
 - remove trailing whitespace
 - 8329332: Remove CompiledMethod and CodeBlobLayout classes

Changes: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18554/files
  Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=18554&range=00
  Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8329332
  Stats: 3885 lines in 118 files changed: 1281 ins; 1723 del; 881 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk.git pull/18554/head:pull/18554

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18554