List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8324241: Always record evol_method deps to avoid excessive method flushing [v4]
From:       Volker Simonis <simonis () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2024-01-26 13:14:58

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:36:49 GMT, Aleksey Shipilev <shade@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Volker Simonis has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional \
> > commit since the last revision:
> > Made the flag experimental and added an assertion to \
> > set_can_hotswap_or_post_breakpoint()
>
> src/hotspot/share/prims/jvmtiExport.hpp line 159:
>
> > 157:     // recorded from that point on.
> > 158:     assert(!_can_hotswap_or_post_breakpoint || on, "sanity check");
> > 159:     _can_hotswap_or_post_breakpoint = (on != 0);
>
> Pre-existing: wild that this code checks `!= 0` against `bool`, when it could have \
> just used the bool directly, like the new assert does. I see no reason to keep `!= \
> 0` here.

I wondered myself about this strange style. But it's there since the first OpenJDK \
commit (probably it was written by a C programmer where `bool` isn't a builtin type \
and he wanted to make sure that all non-zero values get mapped to 1).

But as this style is used throughout the entire file, I prefer to keep it as is and \
not change a single occurrence only.