List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: JDK-8320005 : Native library suffix impact on hotspot code in AIX [v7]
From:       Thomas Stuefe <stuefe () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2023-12-20 14:32:55

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:16:03 GMT, Suchismith Roy <sroy@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > J2SE agent does not start and throws error when it tries to find the shared \
> > library ibm_16_am. After searching for ibm_16_am.so ,the jvm agent throws and \
> > error as dll_load fails.It fails to identify the shared library ibm_16_am.a \
> > shared archive file on AIX. Hence we are providing a function which will \
> > additionally search for .a file on AIX ,when the search for .so file fails.
>
> Suchismith Roy has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional \
> commit since the last revision:
> Spaces fix

Hi,

some requests and questions:

- Please modify the JBS title, PR title, and JBS issue text to reflect that this adds \
an alternative shared object loading path for shared objects on AIX. Something like \
"Allow loading shared objects with .a extension on AIX". Please describe the new \
                logic in the JBS issue text.
- Does this really have to be handled in the OpenJDK? What does J9 on AIX do? Could \
this be done in a simpler way outside OpenJDK, e.g. by providing an *.so variant of \
                the library in question? Where does this library come from?
- What happens if we accidentally attempt to load a "real" static library, which is \
                also named *.a? Would dlopen() then crash? What would happen?
- What happens if the original path handed to os::dll_load is already a *.a file? \
                Should the logic then be reversed?
- We really need regression tests for this.