List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8320532: Remove Thread/ThreadGroup suspend/resume
From:       Stuart Marks <smarks () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2023-11-28 18:38:12

On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:18:44 GMT, Alan Bateman <alanb@openjdk.org> wrote:

> The deadlock prone Thread/ThreadGroup suspend/resume were deprecated since JDK 1.2, \
> deprecated for removal in Java 14, and re-specified/degraded to throw \
> UnsupportedOperationException unconditionally in Java 19/20.  Early in Java 23 \
> seems a fine time to finally remove these methods.
> Corpus analysis of 176 million classes in 485k artifacts found no remaining usages \
> of ThreadGroup.suspend/resume beyond the artifacts that include a copy of \
> java.lang.ThreadGroup (!). It found 87 remaining uses of Thread.suspend and 86 \
> remaining usages of Thread.resume, some of these are tests.
> Thread.suspend/resume have always linked to the "Java Thread Primitive Deprecation" \
> page. This originally explained the reasons why suspend/resume were deprecated. \
> When these methods were degraded to throw UOE we changed the text to explain why \
> the ability to suspend or resume a thread was removed. Now we must change it again. \
> One choice is to re-word to explain why the Java APIs were removed or why the Java \
> APIs don't define a way to suspend/resume threads, the other choice (which I \
> prefer) is to remove the text.
> The method description of java.lang.management.ThreadInfo.isSuspended is tweaked to \
> link to JVMTI SuspendThread instead of Thread.suspend

Marked as reviewed by smarks (Reviewer).

Yeah, removing the text from the deprecation is reasonable. I expect that eventually \
the deprecation page will simply vanish when this is all over (I guess, after \
Thread.stop is finally removed).

Eventually somebody should write the definitive history of the Thread API.