List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: JDK-8301983: Refactor MEMFLAGS and AllocFailStrategy [v5]
From:       Thomas Stuefe <stuefe () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2023-02-16 13:00:37

On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:57:38 GMT, Stefan Karlsson <stefank@openjdk.org> wrote:

> FWIW, I strongly dislike the uppercase MEMFLAGS name. I wouldn't mind this rename \
> at all.

Thinking this through again, I somewhat regret my strong opposition. Reeks too much \
of resisting change for resisting's sake, and we don't want that.

While I still think the change is much too big, I never have liked MEMFLAGS myself \
either. In comments and code, it has been named "nmt category" in places, which I \
like more.

I think simple renaming change MEMFLAGS->xx, with xx being something like \
"NMTCategory" or "NMTTags" or similar, would be okay. If other refactorings are \
omitted, such an isolated change could be backported more easily to older releases.