List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8295729: Add jcheck whitespace checking for properties files [v3]
From:       Alexey Ivanov <aivanov () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-10-29 13:22:09

On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 19:21:07 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <ihse@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Properties files is essentially source code. It should have the same whitespace \
> > checks as all other source code, so we don't get spurious trailing whitespace \
> > changes.
> > With the new Skara jcheck, it is possible to increase the coverage of the \
> > whitespace checks (in the old mercurial version, this was more or less \
> > impossible).
> > The only manual change is to `.jcheck/conf`. All other changes were made by \
> > running `find . -type f -iname "*.properties" | xargs gsed -i -e 's/[ \t]*$//'`.
>
> Magnus Ihse Bursie has updated the pull request incrementally with two additional \
> commits since the last revision:
> - Revert "Remove check for .properties from jcheck"
>
> This reverts commit c91fdaa19dc06351598bd1c0614e1af3bfa08ae2.
> - Change trailing space and tab in values to unicode encoding

Trailing spaces in `LocaleNames_*` are only in two files:

- `src/jdk.localedata/share/classes/sun/util/resources/ext/LocaleNames_de.properties`
- `src/jdk.localedata/share/classes/sun/util/resources/ext/LocaleNames_sv.properties`

It is very unlikely these spaces are part of a country or language name. The former \
file contains a few trailing spaces, the latter — only one.

src/jdk.localedata/share/classes/sun/util/resources/ext/LocaleNames_de.properties \
line 238:

> 236: cpp=Kreolisch-Portugiesische Sprache
> 237: crh=Krimtatarisch
> 238: crp=Kreolische Sprache\u0020

I'm pretty sure locale names shouldn't contain trailing spaces.

Marked as reviewed by aivanov (Reviewer).

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/10792