List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8198668: MemoryPoolMBean/isUsageThresholdExceeded/isexceeded001/TestDescription.java
From:       Kevin Walls <kevinw () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-06-30 20:54:15

> Test has been problemlisted for a long time due to intermittent failures.
>
> This is a difficult test as it tries to monitor usage thresholds on Memory Pools \
> which are outside its control. Not just Java heap pools, where the allocation it \
> makes may or may not affect a particuclar pool, but non-heap pools such as CodeHeap \
> and Metadata, where other activity in the VM can affect their usage and surprise \
> the test.
> The test iterates JMX memory pools where thresholds are supported, sets a threshold \
> one byte higher than current usage, and makes an allocation.  This only makes sense \
> on Java heap pools.  It is tempting to skip non-heap pools, but this test can still \
> give a sanity test about threshold behaviour.  That is actually its main purpose, \
> as the allocation is unlikely to affect the pool being tested.
> With the changes here, I'm seeing the test and all its variations pass reliably, \
> i.e. 50 iterations in each tested platform.
> Skip testing a non-heap memory pool, e.g. CodeHeap, if it is hitting the threshold \
> while we test, because that means it is changing outside our control.  Also re-test \
> isExceeded on failure, as fetching the usage and isExceeded is a race.
> Logging of more pool stats to better understand failures.

Kevin Walls has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a \
rebase. The pull request now contains three commits:

 - Merge remote-tracking branch 'upstream/master' into 8198668_MBean_threshold_test
 - Show log output
 - 8198668: MemoryPoolMBean/isUsageThresholdExceeded/isexceeded001/TestDescription.java \
still failing

Changes: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/9309/files
 Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=9309&range=02
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk pull/9309/head:pull/9309