List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8288396: Always create reproducible builds [v5]
From:       Erik Helin <ehelin () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-06-27 11:47:45

On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 15:18:04 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <ihse@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > When we started introducing some possibly more intrusive compiler flags and \
> > functionality for reproducible builds, we also introduced a flag to turn this off \
> > out of an abundance of caution. But we have been been using this configuration \
> > for a year or so internally within Oracle, with no issues. So there's really no \
> > reason to be able to turn this off. (If you were to ask me, the fact that \
> > compilers and build tools ever started to produce non-deterministic output has \
> > been a bug from day one.)
> > With this fix, all randomness should be gone from our builds, at least on linux \
> > and windows. There are no more `__DATE__` and `__TIME__` macros in the source \
> > code.
>
> Magnus Ihse Bursie has updated the pull request incrementally with two additional \
> commits since the last revision:
> - Remove incorrect argument
> - Test if linker can accept the flag

The HotSpot changes looks good to me.

The only problem I can think of is if some program is parsing the version string and \
relies on `__DATE__` having the form `Mmm dd yyyy` (as mandated by the C++ spec) and \
now it will have ISO 8601 format, but I don't think that issue should prevent this \
change. Those programs will just have to be updated 😃

Marked as reviewed by ehelin (Reviewer).

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/9152