List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8271356: JDB: GDB-style command repetition and `list` auto-advance [v2]
From:       Jakob Cornell <github.com+5642931+jakobcornell () openjdk ! java ! net>
Date:       2021-08-28 6:05:54

> This has been under discussion on and off for the past month or so on \
> serviceability-dev, and I think a CSR request is required, so this may be a work in \
> progress.
> Notes on the patch:
>
> - The `list` command previously marked a line in each listing with `=>`.  In a bare \
> `list` this is the next line up for execution.  Previously when requesting a \
> specific location (e.g. `list 5`) the requested line would be marked.  With the \
> patch applied, `list` will only ever mark the next line up for execution.  This is \
>                 consistent with the behavior of GDB and PDB (at least).
> - `EOF` is printed when the repeat setting is on and a bare `list` command follows \
> a listing containing the last source line.  This feature is from PDB; it's a \
> somewhat softer message than the one for an explicit `list` request that's out of \
>                 range.
> - I don't speak Chinese or Japanese, so I've omitted localizations for the new \
> messages in those locales.  However, I updated the help text in both to include the \
> new commands, with the descriptions left empty for now.

Jakob Cornell has refreshed the contents of this pull request, and previous commits \
have been removed. The incremental views will show differences compared to the \
previous content of the PR.

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/5289/files/eb45155e..90cd2fa1

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=5289&range=01
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=5289&range=00-01

  Stats: 393 lines in 5 files changed: 77 ins; 164 del; 152 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/5289/head:pull/5289