List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: [jdk17] RFR: 8067223: [TESTBUG] Rename Whitebox API package [v2]
From:       Igor Ignatyev <iignatyev () openjdk ! java ! net>
Date:       2021-07-31 20:51:46

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 20:42:10 GMT, Igor Ignatyev <iignatyev@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > could you please review this big tedious and trivial(-ish) patch which moves \
> > `sun.hotspot.WhiteBox` and related classes to `jdk.test.whitebox` package?
> > the majority of the patch is the following substitutions:
> > - `s~sun/hotspot/WhiteBox~jdk/test/whitebox/WhiteBox~g`
> > - `s/sun.hotspot.parser/jdk.test.whitebox.parser/g`
> > - `s/sun.hotspot.cpuinfo/jdk.test.whitebox.cpuinfo/g`
> > - `s/sun.hotspot.code/jdk.test.whitebox.code/g`
> > - `s/sun.hotspot.gc/jdk.test.whitebox.gc/g`
> > - `s/sun.hotspot.WhiteBox/jdk.test.whitebox.WhiteBox/g`
> >
> > testing: tier1-4
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -- Igor
>
> Igor Ignatyev has refreshed the contents of this pull request, and previous commits \
> have been removed. The incremental views will show differences compared to the \
> previous content of the PR.

Vladimir, David,

I've (forced) pushed a smaller version of the renaming. instead of removing \
`sun.hotspot` classes, it copies them to `jdk.test.whitebox` (w/ \
`s.h.parser.DiagnosticCommand` being removed as it's used in WhiteBox signature and \
it was easier to update a few tests that use it), updates hotspot code to register \
native methods for both `sun.hotspot.WhiteBox` and `jdk.test.whitebox.WhiteBox` \
classes. To make it easier and not to introduce extra dependency, I've made it \
impossible to use `s.h.WB` w/ a security manager enabled, otherwise there would be a \
dependency b/w `s.h.WB` and `j.t.w.WB$WhiteBoxPermission` or there would be 2 \
permissions. There are no open JDK tests that are impacted by this limitation.

With minor tweaks in closed source, the patch successfully passes Oracle's tier1-4.

-- Igor