List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8253476: TestUseContainerSupport.java fails on some Linux kernels w/o swap limit capabiliti
From:       Bob Vandette <bobv () openjdk ! java ! net>
Date:       2020-09-29 20:02:13

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 19:57:14 GMT, Coleen Phillimore <coleenp@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Please review this small change to remove "--memory 200m" option from \
> > TestUseContainerSupport.java.  This can cause test failures on systems where swap \
> > accounting is disabled.
>
> Marked as reviewed by coleenp (Reviewer).

Setting a 200MB container Limit when swap accounting is not enabled in the Kernel \
will cause a SEGV depending on how much RAM is available in the host.  When we test \
with UseContainerSupport disabled and a container limit imposed by docker, the VM \
assumes it has all host memory available to it.  The VM ergonomics will then assume \
it has a lot of memory and will potentially select a very large heap.  When the heap \
is initialized, it will exceed the containers limit causing the SEGV.