List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8244078: ProcessTools executeTestJvm and createJavaProcessBuilder have inconsistent handlin
From:       Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman () oracle ! com>
Date:       2020-04-30 10:36:16

On 30/04/2020 11:08, Stefan Karlsson wrote:

> Are you specifically referring to executeTestJvm vs executeTestJava?
Yes, executeTestJvm was deprecated in the
test/lib/testlibrary/jdk/testlibrary/ProcessTools.java but it seems to
have come back, maybe when we move to a single repo. I only bring it up
because there are a couple of tests in your webrev that are changed to
use executeTestJvm when I expected they would use executeTestJava.

> We could take a step back and look at all these functions and try to
> find good names and/or default values. If we're going to clean this
> up, I think we need to figure out good and, preferably, concise naming
> for all of these:
> - create test java launcher with test.*.opts
> - create test java launcher without test.*.opts
> - execute test java launcher with test.*opts
> - execute test java launcher without test.*.opts
>
> Do you want me to hold off on this patch until we've resolved this?
I don't want to delay your work. I think we just need to create a few
issues to do some cleanup and maybe remove the methods from ProcessTools
that have misleading names.

-Alan