List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8242009: Review setting test.java/vm.opts in jcmd/jhsdb and debugger in serviceability test
From:       Chris Plummer <chris.plummer () oracle ! com>
Date:       2020-04-27 19:55:06

Hi Daniil,

Overall it looks good. A few comments below.

Can you add a comment to TestSysProps.java indicating the reason for
checking if the line starts with "[".

In JDKToolLauncher you have an extra empty line:

   112           * Any platform specific arguments required for running the
tool are
   113           * automatically added.
   114           *
   115           *
   116           * @param args

In OutputAnalyzer.java, I wonder if all these matching APIs you updated
should by default just include the version output in their filtering.

As for the added time to execute, I would suggest possibly stripping
-Xcomp from the few outliers, and I would mostly focus on how much
longer it takes, not how many times longer. For example, increasing from
10 seconds to 40 seconds is not a big deal. Increasing from 10 minutes
to 20 minutes is.

SADebugDTest creates 8 tool processes so, that's probably the reason for
the big increase, although I'm not sure why it is kind of slow in the
first place. It does nothing more on each iteration than launch "jhsdb
debugd", which will connect to the debuggee, and then is killed off.
Maybe there is something slow with connecting, especial with RMI.

thanks,

Chris