List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: JDK-8215196: [Graal] vmTestbase/nsk/jvmti/PopFrame/popframe003/TestDescription.java fails w
From:       Laurence Cable <larry.cable () oracle ! com>
Date:       2019-12-09 18:21:44

inline...

On 12/6/19 6:12 PM, serguei.spitsyn@oracle.com wrote:
> On 12/6/19 17:24, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:

>>> I think, I understood your point correctly.
>>> Your point is that the code that can be eliminated (e.g. local++) is
>>> not that meaningless as it seems to be.
>>> My point is that there are still other more reliable ways to trigger
>>> the agent.
>>> So that relying on something that can be eliminated by JIT compilers
>>> is not important to support.
>>
>> You are making the assumption that the agent author understands what
>> Java code/variables *might* be eliminated by the JIT compiler. I don't
>> think that's a good assumption. I might have code that does a really
>> complicated thing in a local variable that is only useful to the
>> agent itself. The JIT will see that the local variable cannot escape
>> the function and is not used outside the function (as far as it can
>> see) so it will elide the local variable and the code that was used
>> to generated the local result in the variable.
>>
>> If that local result happens to be some computation that the agent
>> needed to see to do its next operation...
>
> Thank you for sharing your point.
> I'm not insisting on my assumptions here, just not sure this is more
> important than allowing optimizations.
> Do you actually think this use case needs to be supported?
>
> In general, to identify our philosophy about interaction between JIT
> compiler
> code elimination and JVM TI we need to make some assumptions.
>

> Let's temporarily put JVM TI out of scope.
> Are there any assumptions when JIT compilers eliminate some code?
> Is it based on some vision what code is observable?
> If it was decided some code can be eliminated then is it JVM TI only
> that breaks such assumptions about observability?
>
> If so, then such optimizations can be disabled at some level.
> Then we end up debugging/profiling/monitoring, and finally, observing
> a slightly different application.
> Are we Okay with this? Do we need any compromises here?
> Maybe we need more flags to control the JIT compiler behavior.
I would say that "in general" (not Java specific) there is an implicit
assumption that compiler optimization and "debugging" are diametrically
opposed to each other, and thus one cannot assume/expect that either can
transparently co-exist, you either optimize or you debug,
but there is a sliding scale between the two extremes, fully optimized
and no optimization (and hence fully debug-able).

The question is: where does "observe-ability" (as distinct from
debugging) lie on that continuum?

In most "ahead of time" language compilers, where all the code
generation occurs during the compilation phase, the developer can choose to
inform the compiler if their intent is to debug the resulting code (no
mutating optimizations, and full metadata retention), or to optimize for
"production" execution (maximal optimization, and no retention of debug
metadata).

The JVM moves some of this activity to r/t which is I think an
implementation detail, there is still a "contract" between the activity
of the "compilation" component and the "debug/observe-ability" component
of the runtime environment.

The debug/observe-ability component can only interact with the code that
the "compiler" generates (AOT & JIT etc).

In other language toolchains, the specification of the intent to "debug"
typically constrains the "compiler" from making mutating optimizations that
would result in an execution behavior that is not broadly equivalent to
that expressed at source level.

In short, I think we have two options; define the behavior of the
execution environment as "undefined", that is the compilers and runtime are
permitted to mutate the code generated from a form equivalent to that
expressed in source, or we add the ability to express the intent of the
code generated, such that when that intent is to debug it, that mutating
optimizations are suppressed by the compiler and runtime.

- Larry