List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: DumpJFR tool
From:       Erik Gahlin <erik.gahlin () oracle ! com>
Date:       2019-10-24 17:37:03

On 2019-10-24 16:52, Yasumasa Suenaga wrote:
> On 2019/10/24 22:50, Erik Gahlin wrote:
>> Hi Yasumasa,
>>
>> The DumpJFR tool relied on SA, which was too much of a burden to
>> maintain (slowing down the development of new JFR features).
>>
>> I think tool was removed in Oracle JDK 9, at least it was completely
>> broken at that time.
>>
>> Functionality has been added that allows JFR to dump an emergency
>> dump if the JVM crashes. This reduces the need for a separate tool.
>
> SA is powerful tool for hung up and for postmortem analysis.
> For example, SA is only way to gather any information even if Attach
> Listener does not respond.

There are always trade-offs, and with the crash dump support in place,
we came to the conclusion that the cost of maintaining the tool and SA
support outweighed the benefits.

> JFR emergency dump is not enough.
> I commented in JDK-8213435, crash which is caused by
> -XX:+CrashOnOutOfMemoryError does not contain
> recently old object sampling.
Duplicating logic in the SA tool to calculate shortest path GC,
information about root objects etc. would be a much larger effort to
implement and maintain than fixing JDK-8213435.

> In addition, there are some cases not to be called crash handler (e.g.
> native stack overflow).
>

>> The Event Streaming JEP, targeted for JDK 14, should also help out
>> here, as it ensures the latest file in the disk repository,
>> previously known as the .part file, can always read. With a default
>> flush interval of 1 second, data will be available very close to the
>> point of the crash.
>
> Is flight record flushed to the disk without any programming for Event
> Streaming?
> I guess it is just about Event Stream API.
>
> I hope to get flight record with some configuration - not any
> programming.

Streaming will be always on. No programming or configuration will be needed.

You can just open the latest file in JMC.

Best regards,
Erik