List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8185005: Improve performance of ThreadMXBean.getThreadInfo(long ids[], int maxDepth)
From:       Robbin Ehn <robbin.ehn () oracle ! com>
Date:       2019-08-12 12:22:40

Hi Daniil,

I took a new deeper dive into this.

This line seems to have some issues:

if (ThreadTable::is_initialized() && thread->in_thread_table() &&
!thread->is_attaching_via_jni()) {

If you create new threads which attaches and then dies, the table will just keep
growing. So you must remove them also ?

Secondly you should not use volatile semantics for _in_thread_table.
The load in the if-statement can be reordered with _is_initialized.
Which could lead to a leak, rogue pointer in the table.

So both "static volatile bool _is_initialized;" and "volatile bool
_in_thread_table; "
should be stored with store_release and loaded with load_acquire.

Unfortunately it looks like there still would be races if
ThreadTable::add_thread e.g. context switch at:

if (_local_table->insert(thread, lookup, entry)) {
// HERE
   java_thread->set_in_thread_table(true);

*Remove side can pass the if-statement without removing.

Since this thread also maybe exiting at any moment, e.g. context switch:

       if (tobj != NULL && !thread->is_exiting() &&
           java_tid == java_lang_Thread::thread_id(tobj)) {
	// HERE
         ThreadTable::add_thread(java_tid, thread);

*Add side can add a thread that is exiting.

Mixing in a third thread looking up a random tid and getting a JavaThread*, it
must validate it against it's ThreadsList. Making the hashtable useless.

So I think the only one adding and removing should be the thread itself.
1:Add to ThreadsList
2:Add to ThreadTable
3:Remove from ThreadTable
4:Remove ThreadsList

Between 1-2 and 3-4 the thread would be looked-up via linear scan.
I don't see an easy way around the start-up issue with this.

Maybe have the cache in Java.
Pass in the thread obj into a
java_sun_management_ThreadImpl_getThreadTotalCpuTime3 instead,
thus skipping any look-ups in native.

Thanks, Robbin