List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Unify jcmd option syntax ?
From:       Thomas_Stüfe <thomas.stuefe () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-06-23 7:50:34

We have a cheerful multitude of syntaxes for sub options:

some use words without leading dashes:

Compiler.CodeHeap_Analytics
VM.metaspace
VM.classloaders
ManagementAgent.start
VM.native_memory

e.g. VM.metaspace show-classes, VM.classloaders verbose

some use words with dashes (-all, -verbose)

GC.class_stats -csv

some use single letters with dashes (-i, -s)

VM.class_hierarchy -i

--

Long term, should we clearly define a single syntax and stick with it?
Preferably gnu-tools style, so single-dash-with-letters,

--

Short term, for the not yet released commands SAP added:

Compiler.CodeHeap_Analytics
VM.metaspace
VM.classloaders

we still can change the format before releasing. Should we? E.g. move
to the "words with dashes" format the majority seems to use:

 VM.metaspace -show-classes, VM.classloaders -verbose

?

Thanks, Thomas