List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: JDK-8171119: Low-Overhead Heap Profiling
From:       JC Beyler <jcbeyler () google ! com>
Date:       2018-02-15 6:34:48

Hi Erik,

I inlined my answers, which the last one seems to answer Robbin's concerns
about the same thing (adding things to Thread).

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:51 AM, Erik Österlund <erik.osterlund@oracle.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > the hard_end method can be renamed to something like:
> > > tlab_end_pointer()        // The end of the lab including a bit of
> > > alignment reserved bytes
> > >

> > Those names sound better to me. Could you please provide a mapping from
> > the old names to the new names so I understand which one is which please?
> >
> > This is my current guess of what you are proposing:
> >
> > end -> current_tlab_end
> > actual_end -> last_allocation_address
> > slow_path_end -> last_slowpath_allocated_end
> > hard_end -> tlab_end_pointer
> >

> Yes that is correct, that was what I was proposing.
>

> > I would prefer this naming:
> >
> > end -> slow_path_end // the end for taking a slow path; either due to
> > sampling or refilling
> > actual_end -> allocation_end // the end for allocations
> > slow_path_end -> last_slow_path_end // last address for slow_path_end (as
> > opposed to allocation_end)
> > hard_end -> reserved_end // the end of the reserved space of the TLAB
> >
> > About setting things in the getter... that still seems like a very
> > unpleasant thing to me. It would be better to inspect the call hierarchy
> > and explicitly update the ends where they need updating, and assert in the
> > getter that they are in sync, rather than implicitly setting various ends
> > as a surprising side effect in a getter. It looks like the call hierarchy
> > is very small. With my new naming convention, reserved_end() would
> > presumably return _allocation_end + alignment_reserve(), and have an assert
> > checking that _allocation_end == _last_slow_path_allocation_end,
> > complaining that this invariant must hold, and that a caller to this
> > function, such as make_parsable(), must first explicitly synchronize the
> > ends as required, to honor that invariant.
> >

> I've renamed the variables to how you preferred it except for the _end
> one. I did:
> current_end
> last_allocation_address
> tlab_end_ptr
>
> The reason is that the architecture dependent code use the thread.hpp API
> and it already has tlab included into the name so it becomes
> tlab_current_end (which is better that tlab_current_tlab_end in my opinion).
>
> I also moved the update into a separate method with a TODO that says to
> remove it when FastTLABRefill is deprecated
>

> This looks a lot better now. Thanks.
>
> Note that the following comment now needs updating accordingly in
> threadLocalAllocBuffer.hpp:
>
> 41 //            Heap sampling is performed via the end/actual_end fields.  42 //   \
> actual_end contains the real end of the tlab allocation,  43 //            whereas \
> end can be set to an arbitrary spot in the tlab to  44 //            trip the \
> return and sample the allocation.  45 //            slow_path_end is used to track \
> if a fast tlab refill occured  46 //            between slowpath calls.
> There might be other comments too, I have not looked in detail.

This was the only spot that still had an actual_end, I fixed it now. I'll
do a sweep to double check other comments.

> [...]
> > particular reason why you would not want to do that?
> > Otherwise, yes - the benefit with using the handle approach is that you
> > do not need to call do_oop explicitly in your code.
> >

> There is no reason except that now we have a load_oop and a get_oop_addr,
> I was not sure what you would think of that.
>

> That's fine.
>

> > > Also I see a lot of concurrent-looking use of the following field:

> > > Because everything is behind a mutex, I wasn't really worried about
> > > this. I have a test that has multiple threads trying to hit this
> > > corner case and it passes.
> > >
> > > However, to be paranoid, I updated it to using the OrderAccess API
> > > now, thanks! Let me know what you think there too!
> > >

> > If it is indeed always supposed to be read and written under a mutex,
> > then I would strongly prefer to have it accessed as a normal non-volatile
> > member, and have an assertion that given lock is held or we are in a
> > safepoint, as we do in many other places. Something like this:
> >
> > assert(HeapMonitorStorage_lock->owned_by_self() ||
> > (SafepointSynchronize::is_at_safepoint() &&
> > Thread::current()->is_VM_thread()), "this should not be accessed
> > concurrently");
> >
> > It would be confusing to people reading the code if there are uses of
> > OrderAccess that are actually always protected under a mutex.
> >

> Thank you for the exact example to be put in the code! I put it around
> each access/assignment of the _initialized method and found one case where
> yes you can touch it and not have the lock. It actually is "ok" because you
> don't act on the storage until later and only when you really want to
> modify the storage (see the object_alloc_do_sample method which calls the
> add_trace method).
>
> But, because of this, I'm going to put the OrderAccess here, I'll do some
> performance numbers later and if there are issues, I might add a "unsafe"
> read and a "safe" one to make it explicit to the reader. But I don't think
> it will come to that.
>

> Okay. This double return in heapMonitoring.cpp looks wrong:
>
> 283   bool initialized() {
> 284     return OrderAccess::load_acquire(&_initialized) != 0;
> 285     return _initialized;
> 286   }
>
> Since you said object_alloc_do_sample() is the only place where you do not
> hold the mutex while reading initialized(), I had a closer look at that. It
> looks like in its current shape, the lack of a mutex may lead to a memory
> leak. In particular, it first checks if (initialized()). Let's assume this
> is now true. It then allocates a bunch of stuff, and checks if the number
> of frames were over 0. If they were, it calls \
> StackTraceStorage::storage()->add_trace() seemingly hoping that after grabbing the \
> lock in there, initialized() will still return true. But it could now return false \
> and skip doing anything, in which case the allocated stuff will never be freed.

I fixed this now by making add_trace return a boolean and checking for
that. It will be in the next webrev. Thanks, the truth is that in our
implementation the system is always on or off, so this never really occurs
> ). In this version though, that is not true and it's important to handle
so thanks again!

> So the analysis seems to be that _initialized is only used outside of the
> mutex in once instance, where it is used to perform double-checked locking,
> that actually causes a memory leak.
>
> I am not proposing how to fix that, just raising the issue. If you still
> want to perform this double-checked locking somehow, then the use of
> acquire/release still seems odd. Because the memory ordering restrictions
> of it never comes into play in this particular case. If it ever did, then
> the use of destroy_stuff(); release_store(_initialized, 0) would be broken
> anyway as that would imply that whatever concurrent reader there ever was
> would after reading _initialized with load_acquire() could *never* read the
> data that is concurrently destroyed anyway. I would be biased to think that
> RawAccess<MO_RELAXED>::load/store looks like a more appropriate solution,
> given that the memory leak issue is resolved. I do not know how painful it
> would be to not perform this double-checked locking.

So I agree with this entirely. I looked also a bit more and the difference
and code really stems from our internal version. In this version however,
there are actually a lot of things going on that I did not go entirely
through in my head but this comment made me ponder a bit more on it.

Since every object_alloc_do_sample is protected by a check to
HeapMonitoring::enabled(), there is only a small chance that the call is
happening when things have been disabled. So there is no real need to do a
first check on the initialized, it is a rare occurence that a call happens
to object_alloc_do_sample and the initialized of the storage returns false.

(By the way, even if you did call object_alloc_do_sample without looking at
HeapMonitoring::enabled(), that would be ok too. You would gather the
stacktrace and get nowhere at the add_trace call, which would return false;
so though not optimal performance wise, nothing would break).

Furthermore, the add_trace is really the moment of no return and we have
the mutex lock and then the initialized check. So, in the end, I did two
things: I removed that first check and then I removed the OrderAccess for
the storage initialized. I think now I have a better grasp and
understanding why it was done in our code and why it is not needed here.
Thanks for pointing it out :). This now still passes my JTREG tests,
especially the threaded one.

> > As a kind of meta comment, I wonder if it would make sense to add sampling

> > > UseTlab because you hit that case if the allocation is too big.
> > >

> > I see. It was not obvious to me that non-TLAB sampling is done in the
> > TLAB class. That seems like an abstraction crime.
> > What I wanted in my previous comment was that we do not call into the
> > TLAB when we are not using TLABs. If there is sampling logic in the TLAB
> > that is used for something else than TLABs, then it seems like that logic
> > simply does not belong inside of the TLAB. It should be moved out of the
> > TLAB, and instead have the TLAB call this common abstraction that makes
> > sense.
> >

> So in the incremental version:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jcbeyler/8171119/webrev.07_08/, this is still
> a "crime". The reason is that the system has to have the bytes_until_sample
> on a per-thread level and it made "sense" to have it with the TLAB
> implementation. Also, I was not sure how people felt about adding something
> to the thread instance instead.
>
> Do you think it fits better at the Thread level? I can see how difficult
> it is to make it happen there and add some logic there. Let me know what
> you think.
>

> We have an unfortunate situation where everyone that has some fields that
> are thread local tend to dump them right into Thread, making the size and
> complexity of Thread grow as it becomes tightly coupled with various
> unrelated subsystems. It would be desirable to have a separate class for
> this instead that encapsulates the sampling logic. That class could
> possibly reside in Thread though as a value object of Thread.

I imagined that would be the case but was not sure. I will look at the
example that Robbin is talking about (ThreadSMR) and will see how to
refactor my code to use that.

Thanks again for your help,
Jc

> > Hope I have answered your questions and that my feedback makes sense to
> > you.
> >

> You have and thank you for them, I think we are getting to a cleaner
> implementation and things are getting better and more readable :)
>

> Yes it is getting better.
>
> Thanks,
> /Erik
>

> Thanks for your help!
> Jc
>

> > Thanks,
> > /Erik
> >

> > I double checked by changing the test
> > > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jcbeyler/8171119/webrev.05a/raw_
> > > files/new/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/jvmti/HeapMonito
> > > r/MyPackage/HeapMonitorStatObjectCorrectnessTest.java
> > >
> > > to use a smaller Tlab (2048) and made the object bigger and it goes
> > > through that and passes.
> > >
> > > Thanks again for your review and I look forward to your pointers for
> > > the questions I now have raised!
> > > Jc
> > >

> > > Thanks,

[Attachment #3 (text/html)]

seems to answer Robbin&#39;s concerns about the same thing (adding things to \
2018 at 2:51 AM, Erik Österlund <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a \
href="mailto:erik.osterlund@oracle.com" \
solid;padding-left:1ex">

    Hi JC,<br>
wrote:<br>  </div>
          answers/comments.</div>
          comments so this webrev incremental is a bit an answer to all
          comments in one. I apologize for that :)</div>
            Österlund <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:erik.osterlund@oracle.com" \
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hi JC,<br>  <br>
              Sorry for the delayed reply.<br>
              Inlined answers:
class="m_-513143501369679108m_-3432361388973563659gmail-m_2261932697128216379h5"><br> \
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  Hi Erik,<br>
                    (Renaming this to be folded into the newly renamed
                    thread :))<br>
                    First off, thanks a lot for reviewing the webrev! I
                    appreciate it!<br>
                    I updated the webrev to:<br>
                    <a \
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Ejcbeyler/8171119/webrev.05a/" rel="noreferrer" \
                    <a \
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Ejcbeyler/8171119/webrev.04_05a/" rel="noreferrer" \
                    It contains:<br>
                    - The change for since from 9 to 11 for the
                    jvmti.xml<br>
                    - The use of the OrderAccess for initialized<br>
                    - Clearing the oop<br>
                    I also have inlined my answers to your comments. The
                    biggest question<br>
                    will come from the multiple *_end variables. A bit
                    of the logic there<br>
                    is due to handling the slow path refill vs fast path
                    refill and<br>
                    checking that the rug was not pulled underneath the
                    slowpath. I<br>
                    believe that a previous comment was that
                    TlabFastRefill was going to<br>
                    be deprecated.<br>
                    If this is true, we could revert this code a bit and
                    just do a : if<br>
                    TlabFastRefill is enabled, disable this. And then
                    deprecate that when<br>
                    TlabFastRefill is deprecated.<br>
                    This might simplify this webrev and I can work on a
                    follow-up that<br>
                    either: removes TlabFastRefill if Robbin does not
                    have the time to do<br>
                    it or add the support to the assembly side to handle
                    this correctly.<br>
                    What do you think?<br>
              I support removing TlabFastRefill, but I think it is good
              to not depend on that happening first.<span><br>
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial"><span \
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;font-style:nor \
mal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spac \
ing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;wor \
d-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;float:none;display:inline"><br>
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial"><span \
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;font-style:nor \
mal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spac \
ing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;wor \
d-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;float:none;display:inline"><br \
class="m_-513143501369679108m_-3432361388973563659gmail-m_2261932697128216379gmail-Apple-interchange-newline">
  I&#39;m slowly pushing on the FastTLABRefill (<a \
href="https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8194084" target="_blank"></a><a \
class="m_-513143501369679108moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="https://bugs.openjdk.java.net" \
target="_blank">https://bugs.openjdk.java.net</a><wbr>/browse/JDK-8194084),  I agree \
on keeping both separate for now though so  that we can think of both \
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial"><br>
                0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><span>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  Now, below, inlined \
are my answers:<br>  <br>
                  On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Erik Österlund<br>
                  &lt;<a href="mailto:erik.osterlund@oracle.com" \
target="_blank">erik.osterlund@oracle.com</a>&gt;  wrote:<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  Hi JC,<br>
                    Hope I am reviewing the right version of your work.
                    Here goes...<br>
                    src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/co<wbr>llectedHeap.inline.hpp:<br>
                       159        \
AllocTracer::send_allocation_<wbr>outside_tlab(klass,  result, size *<br>
                    HeapWordSize, THREAD);<br>
                       160<br>
                       161        THREAD-&gt;tlab().handle_sample(<wbr>THREAD,
                    result, size);<br>
                       162        return result;<br>
                       163     }<br>
                    Should not call tlab()-&gt;X without checking if
                    (UseTLAB) IMO.<br>
                  Done!<br>
              More about this later.
class="m_-513143501369679108m_-3432361388973563659gmail-m_2261932697128216379h5"><br> \
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  <br>
                0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                      \
                      So first of all, there seems to quite a few ends.
                      There is an &quot;end&quot;, a &quot;hard<br>
                      end&quot;, a &quot;slow path end&quot;, and an &quot;actual \
end&quot;.  Moreover, it seems like the<br>
                      &quot;hard end&quot; is actually further away than the
                      &quot;actual end&quot;. So the &quot;hard end&quot;<br>
                      seems like more of a &quot;really definitely actual
                      end&quot; or something. I don&#39;t<br>
                      know about you, but I think it looks kind of
                      messy. In particular, I don&#39;t<br>
                      feel like the name &quot;actual end&quot; reflects what it
                      represents, especially when<br>
                      there is another end that is behind the &quot;actual
                      end&quot;.<br>
                         413 HeapWord* ThreadLocalAllocBuffer::hard_e<wbr>nd()
                      {<br>
                         414     // Did a fast TLAB refill occur?<br>
                         415     if (_slow_path_end != _end) {<br>
                         416        // Fix up the actual end to be now the
                      end of this TLAB.<br>
                         417        _slow_path_end = _end;<br>
                         418        _actual_end = _end;<br>
                         419     }<br>
                         420<br>
                         421     return _actual_end + alignment_reserve();<br>
                         422 }<br>
                      I really do not like making getters unexpectedly
                      have these kind of side<br>
                      effects. It is not expected that when you ask for
                      the &quot;hard end&quot;, you<br>
                      implicitly update the &quot;slow path end&quot; and \
&quot;actual  end&quot; to new values.<br>
                    As I said, a lot of this is due to the
                    FastTlabRefill. If I make this<br>
                    not supporting FastTlabRefill, this goes away. The
                    reason the system<br>
                    needs to update itself at the get is that you only
                    know at that get if<br>
                    things have shifted underneath the tlab slow path. I
                    am not sure of<br>
                    really better names (naming is hard!), perhaps we
                    could do these<br>
                    names:<br>
                    - current_tlab_end           // Either the allocated
                    tlab end or a sampling point<br>
                    - last_allocation_address   // The end of the tlab
                    allocation<br>
                    - last_slowpath_allocated_end   // In case a fast
                    refill occurred the<br>
                    end might have changed, this is to remember slow vs
                    fast past refills<br>
                    the hard_end method can be renamed to something
                    like:<br>
                    tlab_end_pointer()            // The end of the lab
                    including a bit of<br>
                    alignment reserved bytes<br>
              Those names sound better to me. Could you please provide a
              mapping from the old names to the new names so I
              understand which one is which please?<br>
              This is my current guess of what you are proposing:<br>
              end -&gt; current_tlab_end<br>
              actual_end -&gt; last_allocation_address<br>
              slow_path_end -&gt; last_slowpath_allocated_end<br>
              hard_end -&gt; tlab_end_pointer<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  I would prefer this \
naming:<br>  <br>
              end -&gt; slow_path_end // the end for taking a slow path;
              either due to sampling or refilling<br>
              actual_end -&gt; allocation_end // the end for allocations<br>
              slow_path_end -&gt; last_slow_path_end // last address for
              slow_path_end (as opposed to allocation_end)<br>
              hard_end -&gt; reserved_end // the end of the reserved
              space of the TLAB<br>
              About setting things in the getter... that still seems
              like a very unpleasant thing to me. It would be better to
              inspect the call hierarchy and explicitly update the ends
              where they need updating, and assert in the getter that
              they are in sync, rather than implicitly setting various
              ends as a surprising side effect in a getter. It looks
              like the call hierarchy is very small. With my new naming
              convention, reserved_end() would presumably return
              _allocation_end + alignment_reserve(), and have an assert
              checking that _allocation_end ==
              _last_slow_path_allocation_end<wbr>, complaining that this
              invariant must hold, and that a caller to this function,
              such as make_parsable(), must first explicitly synchronize
              the ends as required, to honor that invariant.
class="m_-513143501369679108m_-3432361388973563659gmail-m_2261932697128216379h5"><br> \
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial"><br \
class="m_-513143501369679108m_-3432361388973563659gmail-m_2261932697128216379gmail-Apple-interchange-newline">
  I&#39;ve renamed the variables to how you preferred it
                except for the _end one. I did:</div>
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial">current_end</div>
yle:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;lett \
er-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:nor \
mal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial"><span \
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;font-style:nor \
mal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spac \
ing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;wor \
d-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-dec \
oration-color:initial;float:none;display:inline">last_allocation_address</span><br>  \
ont-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:40 \
0;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-spa \
ce:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial"><span \
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;font-style:nor \
mal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spac \
ing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;wor \
d-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;float:none;display:inline">tlab_end_ptr</span><br>
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial"><span \
[...]
d-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;float:none;display:inline">The
  reason is that the architecture dependent code use the
                  thread.hpp API and it already has tlab included into
                  the name so it becomes tlab_current_end (which is
                  better that tlab_current_tlab_end in my opinion).</span></div>
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial"><br>
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial">I
  also moved the update into a separate method with a TODO
                that says to remove it when FastTLABRefill is deprecated<br>
    This looks a lot better now. Thanks.<br>
    Note that the following comment now needs updating accordingly in
    threadLocalAllocBuffer.hpp:<br>
    <pre><span class="m_-513143501369679108new">  41 //            Heap sampling is \
performed via the end/actual_end fields.</span> <span \
class="m_-513143501369679108new">  42 //            actual_end contains the real end \
of the tlab allocation,</span> <span class="m_-513143501369679108new">  43 //         \
whereas end can be set to an arbitrary spot in the tlab to</span> <span \
class="m_-513143501369679108new">  44 //            trip the return and sample the \
allocation.</span> <span class="m_-513143501369679108new">  45 //            \
slow_path_end is used to track if a fast tlab refill occured</span> <span \
class="m_-513143501369679108new">  46 //            between slowpath \
calls.</span></pre>  There might be other comments too, I have not looked in \
an actual_end, I fixed it now. I&#39;ll do a sweep to double check other \
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div bgcolor="#FFFFFF" \
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial"><br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  <div>
class="m_-513143501369679108m_-3432361388973563659gmail-m_2261932697128216379h5">  \
                0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                    Not sure it&#39;s better but before updating the webrev,
                    I wanted to try<br>
                    to get input/consensus :)<br>
                    (Note hard_end was always further off than end).<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  \
                      10357           &lt;capabilityfield
                      id=&quot;can_sample_heap&quot; since=&quot;9&quot;&gt;<br>
                      10358              &lt;description&gt;<br>
                      10359                 Can sample the heap.<br>
                      10360                 If this capability is enabled then
                      the heap sampling methods<br>
                      can be called.<br>
                      10361              &lt;/description&gt;<br>
                      10362           &lt;/capabilityfield&gt;<br>
                      Looks like this capability should not be &quot;since 9&quot;
                      if it gets integrated<br>
                      now.<br>
                    Updated now to 11, crossing my fingers :)<br>
                0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                      src/hotspot/share/runtime/heap<wbr>Monitoring.cpp:<br>
                         448           if (is_alive-&gt;do_object_b(value)) {<br>
                         449              // Update the oop to point to the
                      new object if it is still<br>
                      alive.<br>
                         450              f-&gt;do_oop(&amp;(trace.obj));<br>
                         451<br>
                         452              // Copy the old trace, if it is
                      still live.<br>
                         453              \
_allocated_traces-&gt;at_put(cur<wbr>r_pos++,  trace);<br>
                         454<br>
                         455              // Store the live trace in a cache,
                      to be served up on /heapz.<br>
                         456              \
                         458              count++;<br>
                         459           } else {<br>
                         460              // If the old trace is no longer
                      live, add it to the list of<br>
                         461              // recently collected garbage.<br>
                         462              store_garbage_trace(trace);<br>
                         463           }<br>
                      In the case where the oop was not live, I would
                      like it to be explicitly<br>
                      cleared.<br>
                    Done I think how you wanted it. Let me know because
                    I&#39;m not familiar<br>
                    with the RootAccess API. I&#39;m unclear if I&#39;m doing
                    this right or not so<br>
                    reviews of these parts are highly appreciated.
                    Robbin had talked of<br>
                    perhaps later pushing this all into a OopStorage,
                    should I do this now<br>
                    do you think? Or can that wait a second webrev later
                    down the road?<br>
              I think using handles can and should be done later. You
              can use the Access API now.<br>
              I noticed that you are missing an #include
              &quot;oops/access.inline.hpp&quot; in your heapMonitoring.cpp \
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;background-color:rgb(255,255,255)"><span \
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;font-style:nor \
mal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spac \
ing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;wor \
d-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;float:none;display:inline">The

                  missing header is there for me so I don&#39;t know, I made
                  sure it is present in the latest webrev. Sorry about
                  that.</span><br \
class="m_-513143501369679108m_-3432361388973563659gmail-m_2261932697128216379gmail-Apple-interchange-newline">
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;background-color:rgb(255,255,255)"> \
                0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><span>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  + Did I clear it the \
way you wanted me to or were you  thinking of<br>
                  something else?<br>
              That is precisely how I wanted it to be cleared. Thanks.<span><br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  + Final question \
here, seems like if I were to want to  not do the<br>
                  f-&gt;do_oop directly on the trace.obj, I&#39;d need to do
                  something like:<br>
                        f-&gt;do_oop(&amp;value);<br>
                        ...<br>
                        trace-&gt;store_oop(value);<br>
                  to update the oop internally. Is that right/is that
                  one of the<br>
                  advantages of going to the Oopstorage sooner than
                  later?<br>
              I think you really want to do the do_oop on the root
              directly. Is there a particular reason why you would not
              want to do that?<br>
              Otherwise, yes - the benefit with using the handle
              approach is that you do not need to call do_oop explicitly
              in your code.<span><br>
mall;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-wei \
ght:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;whi \
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;background-color:rgb(255,255,255)">There
  is no reason except that now we have a load_oop and a
                get_oop_addr, I was not sure what you would think of
                that.</div>
    That&#39;s fine.<span class=""><br>
                0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><span>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  <br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  Also I see a lot of \
concurrent-looking use of the  following field:<br>
                       267     volatile bool _initialized;<br>
                    Please note that the &quot;volatile&quot; qualifier does not
                    help with reordering<br>
                    here. Reordering between volatile and non-volatile
                    fields is completely free<br>
                    for both compiler and hardware, except for windows
                    with MSVC, where volatile<br>
                    semantics is defined to use acquire/release
                    semantics, and the hardware is<br>
                    TSO. But for the general case, I would expect this
                    field to be stored with<br>
                    OrderAccess::release_store and loaded with
                    OrderAccess::load_acquire.<br>
                    Otherwise it is not thread safe.<br>
                  Because everything is behind a mutex, I wasn&#39;t really
                  worried about<br>
                  this. I have a test that has multiple threads trying
                  to hit this<br>
                  corner case and it passes.<br>
                  However, to be paranoid, I updated it to using the
                  OrderAccess API<br>
                  now, thanks! Let me know what you think there too!<br>
              If it is indeed always supposed to be read and written
              under a mutex, then I would strongly prefer to have it
              accessed as a normal non-volatile member, and have an
              assertion that given lock is held or we are in a
              safepoint, as we do in many other places. Something like
              this:<br>
              assert(HeapMonitorStorage_lock<wbr>-&gt;owned_by_self() ||
              (SafepointSynchronize::is_at_s<wbr>afepoint() &amp;&amp;
              Thread::current()-&gt;is_VM_threa<wbr>d()), &quot;this should
              not be accessed concurrently&quot;);<br>
              It would be confusing to people reading the code if there
              are uses of OrderAccess that are actually always protected
              under a mutex.<span><br>
              I put it around each access/assignment of the _initialized
              method and found one case where yes you can touch it and
              not have the lock. It actually is &quot;ok&quot; because you don&#39;t
              act on the storage until later and only when you really
              want to modify the storage (see the object_alloc_do_sample
              method which calls the add_trace method).</div>
              here, I&#39;ll do some performance numbers later and if there
              are issues, I might add a &quot;unsafe&quot; read and a \
&quot;safe&quot; one  to make it explicit to the reader. But I don&#39;t think it
              will come to that.</div>
    Okay. This double return in heapMonitoring.cpp looks wrong:<br>
      283     bool initialized() {<br>
      284         return OrderAccess::load_acquire(&amp;_<wbr>initialized) != 0;<br>
      285         return _initialized;<br>
      286     }<br>
    Since you said object_alloc_do_sample() is the only place where you
    do not hold the mutex while reading initialized(), I had a closer
    look at that. It looks like in its current shape, the lack of a
    mutex may lead to a memory leak. In particular, it first checks if
    (initialized()). Let&#39;s assume this is now true. It then allocates a
    bunch of stuff, and checks if the number of frames were over 0. If
    they were, it calls StackTraceStorage::storage()-&gt;<wbr>add_trace()
    seemingly hoping that after grabbing the lock in there,
    initialized() will still return true. But it could now return false
    and skip doing anything, in which case the allocated stuff will
making add_trace return a boolean and checking for that. It will be in the next \
webrev. Thanks, the truth is that in our implementation the system is always on or \
off, so this never really occurs :). In this version though, that is not true and \
solid;padding-left:1ex"><div bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">  <br>
    So the analysis seems to be that _initialized is only used outside
    of the mutex in once instance, where it is used to perform
    double-checked locking, that actually causes a memory leak.<br>
    I am not proposing how to fix that, just raising the issue. If you
    still want to perform this double-checked locking somehow, then the
    use of acquire/release still seems odd. Because the memory ordering
    restrictions of it never comes into play in this particular case. If
    it ever did, then the use of destroy_stuff();
    release_store(_initialized, 0) would be broken anyway as that would
    imply that whatever concurrent reader there ever was would after
    reading _initialized with load_acquire() could *never* read the data
    that is concurrently destroyed anyway. I would be biased to think
    that RawAccess&lt;MO_RELAXED&gt;::load/<wbr>store looks like a more
[...]
te-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;background-color:rgb(255,255,255)"><br>
                0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><span>
                0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  As a kind of meta \
comment, I wonder if it would make  sense to add sampling<br>
                    for non-TLAB allocations. Seems like if someone is
                    rapidly allocating a<br>
                    whole bunch of 1 MB objects that never fit in a
                    TLAB, I might still be<br>
                    interested in seeing that in my traces, and not get
                    surprised that the<br>
                    allocation rate is very high yet not showing up in
                    any profiles.<br>
                  That is handled by the handle_sample where you wanted
                  me to put a<br>
                  UseTlab because you hit that case if the allocation is
                  too big.<br>
              I see. It was not obvious to me that non-TLAB sampling is
              done in the TLAB class. That seems like an abstraction
              crime.<br>
              What I wanted in my previous comment was that we do not
              call into the TLAB when we are not using TLABs. If there
              is sampling logic in the TLAB that is used for something
              else than TLABs, then it seems like that logic simply does
              not belong inside of the TLAB. It should be moved out of
              the TLAB, and instead have the TLAB call this common
              abstraction that makes sense.<br>
                target="_blank">http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jc<wbr>beyler/8171119/webrev.07_08/</a>,

              this is still a &quot;crime&quot;. The reason is that the system has
              to have the bytes_until_sample on a per-thread level and
              it made &quot;sense&quot; to have it with the TLAB implementation.
              Also, I was not sure how people felt about adding
              something to the thread instance instead.<br>
              see how difficult it is to make it happen there and add
              some logic there. Let me know what you think.</div>
    We have an unfortunate situation where everyone that has some fields
    that are thread local tend to dump them right into Thread, making
    the size and complexity of Thread grow as it becomes tightly coupled
    with various unrelated subsystems. It would be desirable to have a
    separate class for this instead that encapsulates the sampling
    logic. That class could possibly reside in Thread though as a value
the case but was not sure. I will look at the example that Robbin is talking about \
(ThreadSMR) and will see how to refactor my code to use \
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  Hope I have answered \
your questions and that my feedback  makes sense to you.<br>
              to a cleaner implementation and things are getting better
              and more readable :)</div>
    Yes it is getting better.<br>
    Thanks,<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  Thanks,<br>
              /Erik

class="m_-513143501369679108m_-3432361388973563659gmail-m_2261932697128216379h5"><br> \
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  I double checked by \
changing the test<br>  <a \
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Ejcbeyler/8171119/webrev.05a/raw_files/new/test/hot \
spot/jtreg/serviceability/jvmti/HeapMonitor/MyPackage/HeapMonitorStatObjectCorrectnessTest.java" \
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jc<wbr>beyler/8171119/web \
                    to use a smaller Tlab (2048) and made the object
                    bigger and it goes<br>
                    through that and passes.<br>
                    Thanks again for your review and I look forward to
                    your pointers for<br>
                    the questions I now have raised!<br>
                    Jc<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  Thanks,<br>
                      /Erik<br>
                      On 2018-01-26 06:45, JC Beyler wrote:<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  Thanks Robbin for \
the reviews :)<br>  <br>
                        The new full webrev is here:<br>
                        <a \
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Ejcbeyler/8171119/webrev.03/" rel="noreferrer" \
The incremental webrev is here:<br>  <a \
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Ejcbeyler/8171119/webrev.02_03/" rel="noreferrer" \
                        I inlined my answers:<br>
                        On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 1:15 AM, Robbin Ehn &lt;<a \
href="mailto:robbin.ehn@oracle.com" target="_blank"></a><a \
class="m_-513143501369679108moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
href="mailto:robbin.ehn@oracle.com" target="_blank">robbin.ehn@oracle.com</a>&gt;  \
                wrote:<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  Hi JC, great to see \
another revision!<br>  <br>
                          ####<br>
                          heapMonitoring.cpp<br>
                          StackTraceData should not contain the oop for
                          &#39;safety&#39; reasons.<br>
                          When StackTraceData is moved from
                          _allocated_traces:<br>
                          L452 store_garbage_trace(trace);<br>
                          it contains a dead oop.<br>
                          _allocated_traces could instead be a tupel of
                          oop and StackTraceData thus<br>
                          dead oops are not kept.<br>
                        Done I used inheritance to make the copier work
                        regardless but the<br>
                        idea is the same.<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  You should use the \
new Access API for loading  the oop, something like<br>
                          this:<br>
                          RootAccess&lt;ON_PHANTOM_OOP_REF |
                          AS_NO_KEEPALIVE&gt;::load(...)<br>
                          I don&#39;t think you need to use Access API for
                          clearing the oop, but it<br>
                          would<br>
                          look nicer. And you shouldn&#39;t probably be
                          using:<br>
                          Universe::heap()-&gt;is_in_reserv<wbr>ed(value)<br>
                        I am unfamiliar with this but I think I did do
                        it like you wanted me<br>
                        to (all tests pass so that&#39;s a start). I&#39;m not
                        sure how to clear the<br>
                        oop exactly, is there somewhere that does that,
                        which I can use to do<br>
                        the same?<br>
                        I removed the is_in_reserved, this came from our
                        internal version, I<br>
                        don&#39;t know why it was there but my tests work
                        without so I removed it<br>
                        :)<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  The lock:<br>
                          L424     MutexLocker
                          mu(HeapMonitorStorage_lock);<br>
                          Is not needed as far as I can see.<br>
                          weak_oops_do is called in a safepoint, no TLAB
                          allocation can happen and<br>
                          JVMTI thread can&#39;t access these
                          data-structures. Is there something more<br>
                          to<br>
                          this lock that I&#39;m missing?<br>
                        Since a thread can call the JVMTI getLiveTraces
                        (or any of the other<br>
                        ones), it can get to the point of trying to
                        copying the<br>
                        _allocated_traces. I imagine it is possible that
                        this is happening<br>
                        during a GC or that it can be started and a GC
                        happens afterwards.<br>
                        Therefore, it seems to me that you want this
                        protected, no?<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  ####<br>
                          You have 6 files without any changes in them
                          (any more):<br>
                          g1CollectedHeap.cpp<br>
                          psMarkSweep.cpp<br>
                          psParallelCompact.cpp<br>
                          genCollectedHeap.cpp<br>
                          referenceProcessor.cpp<br>
                          thread.hpp<br>
                        Done.<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  ####<br>
                          I have not looked closely, but is it possible
                          to hide heap sampling in<br>
                          AllocTracer ? (with some minor changes to the
                          AllocTracer API)<br>
                        I am imagining that you are saying to move the
                        code that does the<br>
                        sampling code (change the tlab end, do the call
                        to HeapMonitoring,<br>
                        etc.) into the AllocTracer code itself? I think
                        that is right and I&#39;ll<br>
                        look if that is possible and prepare a webrev to
                        show what would be<br>
                        needed to make that happen.<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  ####<br>
                          Minor nit, when declaring pointer there is a
                          little mix of having the<br>
                          pointer adjacent by type name and data name.
                          (Most hotspot code is by<br>
                          type<br>
                          name)<br>
                          E.g.<br>
                          heapMonitoring.cpp:711        jvmtiStackTrace
                          *trace = ....<br>
                          heapMonitoring.cpp:733              Method* m =
                          vfst.method();<br>
                          (not just this file)<br>
                        Done!<br>
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">  ####<br>
                          HeapMonitorThreadOnOffTest.jav<wbr>a:77<br>
                          I would make g_tmp volatile, otherwise the
                          assignment in loop may<br>
                          theoretical be skipped.<br>
                        Also done!<br>
                        Thanks again!<br>