List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: New JBS component for the serviceability agent
From:       jesper.wilhelmsson () oracle ! com
Date:       2018-01-18 0:35:01

> On 17 Jan 2018, at 23:26, David Holmes <david.holmes@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jesper,
>
> cc'd serviceability-dev
>
> On 18/01/2018 7:03 AM, jesper.wilhelmsson@oracle.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> > A new JBS component is now available for the serviceability agent: \
> > hotspot/svc-agent This means that the old label svc-sa is deprecated and any \
> > issue that had this label has been moved to the new subcomponent. So, wherever \
> > you'd previously used the label svc-sa (mainly in hotspot/svc or in \
> > core-svc/tools) you should now use the component hotspot/svc-agent.
>
> Do we have guidelines on what kind of svc issues to file where? It often isn't \
> clear which components are involved.

hotspot/svc-agent is for issues concerning the serviceability agent (code in \
src/jdk.hotspot.agent/* and vmStructs.cpp). JMX issues goes into \
core-svc/javax.management. Both of these components are considered part of the M&M \
area. (They also have core-svc/java.lang.management.)

As for the serviceability area there are components like: hotspot/jvmti, hotspot/svc, \
core-svc/debugger, core-svc/tools, core-svc/java.lang.instrument, and tools/hprof. \
Some of these have fairly descriptive names, the rest I leave for the serviceability \
folks to sort out :-)

/Jesper