List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: @HotSpotIntrinsicCandidate and native prefixes
From:       Zoltán Majó <zoltan.majo () oracle ! com>
Date:       2017-03-23 14:01:32

Hi Volker,

On 03/23/2017 12:43 PM, Volker Simonis wrote:
> [...]
>

> I actually somehow missed "8131326: Enable CheckIntrinsics in all
> types of builds" which enabled CheckIntrinsics in product builds by
> default (before it was only enabled in debug builds). Not sure what
> was the rational behind this change (CC'ed Zoltan who did the change)
> but I'm pretty sure that the effects of SetNativeMethodPrefix haven't
> been taken into account when that change was made. In the end it paid
> off, otherwise you wouldn't have found this issue :)

I mentioned the following in the RFR for 8131326:

"Problem: The CheckIntrinsics flag added by JDK-8076112 is currently
enabled only in debug builds. As a result, users of product builds might
easier oversee potential mismatches between VM-level and classfile-level
intrinsics."

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-compiler-dev/2015-July/018425.html

I don't recall any other reason for doing this change, although somebody
might have asked me in a private message to do it (maybe with
more/different justification).

Best regards,

Zoltan