List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8142366: Add develop_debug and develop_trace levels to Unified Logging
From:       Bengt Rutisson <bengt.rutisson () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-11-11 19:25:57

Hi all,

I agree with Marcus here. Adding more levels below the Trace level seems
odd.

I interpret Marcus' suggestion 2) as that there would be for example a
log_develop_trace() macro that does nothing in product builds and that
calls log_trace() in debug builds. Similarly for info and debug.

To me that seems like a reasonable approach. But I do see the problem
that Marcus mentions. That it will be hard to distinguish develop
logging from normal logging in the output.

So far it's been enough for me with the single Develop level. Can you
give an example of a use case where the different develop levels are needed?

Thanks,
Bengt