List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: System.gc() causes for jcl (BufferPoolMXBean)
From:       Bernd Eckenfels <ecki () zusammenkunft ! net>
Date:       2015-06-20 21:58:38

Am Sat, 20 Jun 2015 17:12:34 +0100
schrieb Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman@oracle.com>:
> Tracking peak usage would be consistent with some of the other
> platform MXBeans so I think this make sense.

Yes, peak usage and count is also used in for example the ThreadsMBean.

> Back-off + gc is implementation specific and I don't think
> appropriate to add to the BufferPoolMXBean. This type of tracking
> might be better served with jvmstat counters.

Ok, I will check how easy it is to get it integrated.

> JFR isn't in OpenJDK
> but others here might be able to say whether it could make use of the
> counters and updated instrumentation.

Interesting, I would have expected that some instrumentation/reporting
infrastructure is in the openjdk code base. Is this a mega patch to be
integrated in the commercial offering or is this a smart
instrumentation layer?

Isnt there some event infrastructure in OpenJDK present?

Gruss
Bernd