List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Additional USDT probes for gc (was: Re: JEP 167: Event-Based JVM Tracing)
From:       Omair Majid <omajid () redhat ! com>
Date:       2015-06-09 14:13:27

Hi folks,

* Lukas Berk <lberk@redhat.com> [2012-10-03 12:14]:
> I've written a patch that adds dtrace style probe points to various
> garbage collection events, namely:
>
> Concurrent Mark Sweep Collections
> G1 Mark Sweep Collections
> ParNew Generation Collections
> Parallel Scavenges
> Parallel Compactions and Moves
> Tenured Generation Collections
> DefNew Generation Collections

This patch has been included with icedtea for a little while now and
some people are missing it in OpenJDK9 [1]. Hotspot already includes
many probes so it seems sensible to me to add additional ones. Are there
any concerns with this patch? Should I try and rebase the patch to
latest JDK9 so it can be formally reviewed and pushed?

Thanks,
Omair

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-dev/2015-June/018834.html

--
PGP Key: 66484681 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = F072 555B 0A17 3957 4E95  0056 F286 F14F 6648 4681