List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: [9] RFR (S): 8059340: ConstantPool::_resolved_references is missing in heap dump
From:       Vladimir Ivanov <vladimir.x.ivanov () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-05-27 10:00:35

Unfortunately, it broke class redefinition (see JDK-8081004 [1]) and I
don't see a reasonable way to fix that.

The problem is that multiple class versions can be alive at the same
moment w.r.t. class redefinition. Every class version should have its
dedicated set of resolved_reference slots for invokedynamic/invokehandle
instructions. They still have dedicated constant pools (and hence
constant pool caches), but resolved_references array is shared now.

It's not viable to simply append slots to the array during class
redefinition since it causes memory leak (array size grows
indefinitely). Compactification strategies are also complex, since slot
indices should be either (1) stable (they are recorded in CPCEs) and
slots are reference counted (in order to free and reuse them on next
class redefinition); or (2) all class versions are patched with new
indices on every class redefinition.

IMO both approaches complicate things too much compared to keeping
dedicated resolved_references per ConstantPool instance.

Serguei, Staffan, what do you think? Do you see any viable solutions to
the problem?

Otherwise, I'm inclined to backout the change.

Best regards,
Vladimir Ivanov