List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: JEP 240: Remove the JVM TI hprof Agent
From:       Mario Torre <neugens.limasoftware () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-23 11:28:59

> On 02/16/2015 04:23 PM, Mario Torre wrote:
>> Thermostat does support that natively with the CLI interface. Also I
>> believe Visual VM can deal with saved and exported hprof dumps,
>> likewise MAT (and Thermostat), which is probably the most advanced at
>> this stage - so no need to install software really.
>
> I believe you are talking about heap dumps here.  As far as I understand
> it, traces from profiling will be gone completely if the hprof agent is
> removed, so there won't be any data you can analyze externally.

I see what you mean, I thought you were referring to heap analysis.

I don't think there is an easy way to retrieve this information and
indeed the tool the JEP 240 refers as part of the JDK distribution are
specific to Oracle JDK (with is an interesting wording, I should say).

On the other end I agree with the linked article regarding the
shortcomings, and the main reason why we are going to great length to
use the various stap/perf/oprofile tools instead.

We could try to save those agents and bundle them within the IcedTea
distribution if there is popular demand though.

Cheers,
Mario

--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Java Champion - Blog: http://neugens.wordpress.com - Twitter: @neugens
Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards: