List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: A hotspot patch for stack profiling (frame pointer)
From:       Bertrand Delsart <bertrand.delsart () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-02-16 16:08:12

On 13/02/2015 23:26, Brendan Gregg wrote:
> Thanks Bertrand and John for explaining the invokedynamic issue, and
> Vladimir for filing the bug.
>
> I'll reply here (I don't have a JBS account; I would like one!).
>
> The profilers I'm using (Linux perf, and Solaris DTrace) can already
> handle a broken RBP, and we see this all the time when profiling
> OracleJDK today (eg, as a flame graph:
> http://www.slideshare.net/brendangregg/netflix-from-clouds-to-roots/66).
>
> Including an option (eg, -XX:+NoOmitFramePointer, or
> -XX:+ReduceOmitFramePointer, or -XX:+MoreFramePointer) which improved
> RBP profiling (like my patch) would have great value for us. I'm fine
> with a profiler not working 100% of the time, provided we understand
> that there is an error margin and why (Bertrand and John's descriptions)
> for when interpreting the profiles. Any of these options could also be
> improved as follow-on changes, if and when needed.

As long as it is clear that RBP can be misleading and that trying to fix
that would be an RFE, not a bug, I have no objection.

I'll let official Reviewers see whether a command line option is
necessary (e.g. whether there are concerns about possible performance
regressions when RBP cannot be used by the register allocator).

Regards,

Bertrand.

--
Bertrand Delsart,                     Grenoble Engineering Center
Oracle,         180 av. de l'Europe,          ZIRST de Montbonnot

information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of
the original message.