List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8012902: remove use of global operator new - take 2
From:       David Holmes <david.holmes () oracle ! com>
Date:       2013-04-29 13:00:55

Hi Yumin,

I think we need to pull back on this until we can address the broader
issues:

a) there are a number of classes that don't obey the rules about
extending one of the allocation types

b) adding additional operator new/new[] for explicit C-Heap usage
conflicts with the use of the existing macros/functions documented in
allocation.hpp (I still think I prefer NEW_C_HEAP_OBJ + global placement
new to invoke the correct constructor). If you stick with your approach
then the documentation in allocation.hpp needs rewriting.

c) there seem to be other global array allocations still lurking

d) the effect of the hotspot global operator new on the other libraries
needs to be better understood and dealt with. If I understand your fix
as it stands you will abort in product mode, and warn in debug - yet we
know this problem exists so this will simply force an abort. I would not
expect to see the ShouldNotReachHere() variants.

This is without a doubt quite a mess, so I think we need to proceed very
cautiously.

David

PS. I'm going to be on vacation from about 18 hours from now. Back next
week - no email.