List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    lang-management modification - it may break customer application?
From:       mandy.chung () oracle ! com (Mandy Chung)
Date:       2011-06-30 5:06:49

 Hi Jing,

I'm including the serviceability-dev mailing list as
java.lang.management is a serviceability feature.

On 6/30/11 12:32 PM, Jing LV wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see there is some modifiction in the
> java.lang.management.ManagementFactory, e.g, newPlatformMXBeanProxy. The
> LogManager.LOGGING_MXBEAN_NAME in Java7 has been changed and now
> represents PlatformLoggingMXBean rather than
> java.util.logging.LoggingMXBean.

If it's accessed via an MBeanServer, this should not make any difference
since both LoggingMXBean and PlatformLoggingMXBean defines the same
attributes.
> I understand this is the stradegy to move all MXBean into
> java.lang.management package. However in JDK6, customers may already use
> java.lang.management.ManagementFactory.newPlatformMXBeanProxy(someserver, \
> LogManager.LOGGING_MXBEAN_NAME, LoggingMXBean) to get LoggingMXBean and in JDK7 he \
> would meet a IllegalArgumentException.

This should work in both JDK 6 and JDK 7. A regression test in the JDK
explicitly
checks this method retains the same behavior:

        LoggingMXBean proxy =
            ManagementFactory.newPlatformMXBeanProxy(mbs,
                LogManager.LOGGING_MXBEAN_NAME,
                LoggingMXBean.class);

See
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/tl/jdk/file/cfd7602f5c52/test/java/lang/management/PlatformLoggingMXBean/LoggingMXBeanTest.java

Do you have a test case reproducing IAE?

Mandy