List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Bytecode generation, Source code mappings, JCov, Future (Patch)
From:       Jonathan.Gibbons () Sun ! COM (Jonathan Gibbons)
Date:       2008-04-30 16:04:08

Alex,

I think Jim's comments go the desired granularity of the information
that could be available.  Although it is not *necessary* recompile on
the fly, it may be *preferable*. to By compiling on demand and
comparing byte codes, you can achieve as high a resolution as is
desired, without having to have any static information at all, whether
in class files or in "side files". In principle, you should be able to
step through an expression, sub expression by sub expression.  By
contrast, with statically generated information, you get what you get
-- and line-based info is not necessarily very good, and more detailed
information is potentially very big.

However, back on the side of static information, I guess there is
potentially a performance issue.  In a debugger, you're mostly dealing
with "line at a time" code at human speeds, as the user steps through
code, or sets up breakpoints.  In profiling tools, you probably want
info about the entire contents of the class file, "in batch time". But
the problem remains with statically generated files -- how do you
determine the resolution of the information that should be generated?

-- Jon