List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    building a jvmti agent with Visual Studio 2005 on x86
From:       Jonathan.Albrecht () quest ! com (Jonathan Albrecht)
Date:       2007-10-31 19:17:47

I'm trying to build a jvmti agent with Visual Studio 2005 on x86 Windows XP. \
Specifically, the compiler is:

Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.762 for 80x86

The agent runs without problem when built with Visual Studio 6 for x86 or when \
cross-compiled for x86_64 with Visual Studio 2005. When I try to run a Visual Studio \
2005 for x86 build, it gets through our Agent_OnLoad function but, according to the \
debugger, it later segfaults in jvm code and it appears that none of our jvmti agent \
code is in the call stack.

Would anyone know if it is possible to build a jvmti agent with VS2005? If it is \
possible, are there any known issues or compiler switches I need to look out for?

Googling, I was only able to find one other person who was trying to build a jvmti \
agent with VS2005 and he appeared to get the same behaviour I am seeing.

Thanks,

Jonathan Albrecht