List:       openjdk-security-dev
Subject:    7081804: Remove cause field	from	javax.xml.crypto.NoSuchMechnismException
From:       sebastian.sickelmann () gmx ! de (Sebastian Sickelmann)
Date:       2011-10-27 14:50:28

Some time ago (see below) i ask what would be the right solution to refactor
exception initialization to?

Solution 1: Disallow calls to initCause after creation, if there was an
exception-cause-functionality in this class before it was introduced to
Throwable.
Solution 2: Disallow calls to initCause after creation with in ctor
which has a cause parameter.
Solution 3: Disallow calls to initCause after creation, if and only if
there are ctors
that allows us to specify the cause at creation time.

If i investigated it right::
     * Solution 1 is used by in the Exceptions in core-libs.
     * Exceptions that had no cause-chain prior to
Throwable's-cause-chain uses Solution 2.
     * Personally i found Solution 3 is the most intuitive for the users

javax/xml/security- Exceptions had cause-chaining prio to Throwable
introduces them. jx/x/s-Exceptions are actually not refactored to
solution 2 like the other exceptions in core-libs that had
cause-chaining prior to Throwable.

Before my change-request for jx/x/s-Exceptions i changed some in
core-libs (InternalError and VirtualMachineError) to provide
exception-chaining. These use Solution 2 like all other exceptions that
provided exception-chaining after it where introduced by Throwable.

My personal view of this is that i think it may be valueable to change
all to Solution 3 or at least merge all Solutions to one Solution(maybe
Solution 2) and get rid of Solution 1.
I created a webrev[0] for jx/x/s-Exceptions that implements Solution 2
(this can be used for all those Exceptions that used Solution 1 too).
And I created a webrev[1] for jx/x/s-Exceptions that implement Solution
3 for comparision.

[0]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43692695/oss-patches/openjdk8/NoSuchMechanismException/7011804_4/index.html
[1]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43692695/oss-patches/openjdk8/NoSuchMechanismException/7011804_4/index.htm
<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43692695/oss-patches/openjdk8/NoSuchMechanismException/7011804_4/index.html>

The problem with Solution 3 is that bahavoir compatibility is not given
and some code may break.

-- Sebastian