List:       openjdk-porters-dev
Subject:    Introduction Emmanuel Puybaret
From:       puybaret () eteks ! com (Emmanuel Puybaret)
Date:       2007-11-30 14:08:54

Hi all,

Let me introduce myself also.
I'm Emmanuel Puybaret, a French freelance Java developer (so excuse me if my
English isn't perfect ;-).

I learnt Java 10 years ago and created since 3 GPL projects in Java :
- PJA Toolkit available at http://www.eteks.com/pja/en/ is an AWT Toolkit
for drawing graphics with servlets in a headless environment.
- Jeks available at http://www.eteks.com/jeks/en/ is a spreadsheet based on
the JTable component
- Sweet Home 3D available at http://sweethome3d.sourceforge.net/ is an
interior design application for end users.

I also wrote a Java French tutorial a long time ago (you can read its TOC in
English at http://www.eteks.com/ctojava.html ),
and more recently two French books :
- one about Java : http://www.eteks.com/services/cahierjava.html
- the other one about Swing : http://www.eteks.com/services/cahierswing.html

As you may have guessed, I'm the author of http://www.eteks.com web site,
but don't have any blog.

Thanks to PJA Toolkit and the writing of the book about Swing, I've got a
deep knowledge of how AWT is designed, so I hope I'll be able to help on the
port of AWT. Miserably, even if I work on Mac OS X at home, my knowledge of
Cocoa/Carbon/Objective C is very very poor (I just tried once or twice to
build very small applications a few years ago).
So I hope we, as a team, will be able to work together on this port sharing
our ideas and our knowledge. Working on an Open Source project in a team is
an other thing I'm not used to, so please, feel free to explain how things
should be managed on this project.

At this time, I don't have time available for this project, but from
mid-January 2008, I'll be able to contribute at full time during a few
weeks.
My main idea at this time is to try to write first an AWT Toolkit port based
on SWT, because I feel it would be much easier than with JNI and Cocoa.
Anyway, as we have a few weeks left until I'm available for contributing,
maybe other interesting ideas will come up here and then, we'll see how to
do.

Best regards to you all and let's hope we'll succeed.
--
Emmanuel PUYBARET
Email  : puybaret at eteks.com
Web    : http://www.eteks.com