List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Prefer EGL over GLX on Linux
From:       Thiago_Milczarek_SayĆ£o <thiago.sayao () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-03-31 21:34:32

Hi,

I am doing some efforts here:
https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/pull/1381

Why?

This is initial Wayland support work, since it will require EGL to draw to
a Wayland surface. EGL is also supported on Xorg.
The idea is to prefer EGL and fallback to GLX as it's done in Gtk, for
example. I don't know of an exact scenario where EGL will fail - maybe very
old graphics cards.

The second step will be to implement a libwayland-client glass backend.

Some caveats I've found:
- PrismES2Defs.h -> too much #ifdefs
- Monocle also uses EGL so it feels somewhat duplicated
- The Library loading only supports one lib and then falls back to software
- in this case it's a three-phase loading: EGL, GLX, then SW. I will
probably have to touch other platform code to isolate this.

-- Thiago.