List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: Proposal: RichTextArea Control (Incubator)
From:       Robert Lichtenberger <r.lichtenberger () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-02-26 8:04:27

Having read the interesting posts following this announcement, let me
add a few points from my perspective:

I understand and agree we Johan Vos that there are a lot of open issues
in JBS that should be addressed.

At the same time I would very much appreciate if a RichTextArea were
implemented in core JavaFX as opposed to a library.

Having good controls implemented within JavaFX makes it more attractive
to application developers. To that end I don't think it good to develop
all kinds of controls outside of JavaFX.

The current TextArea makes us laughing stock: If you load any kind of
medium-sized text in it, you're application will stop to work, because
there are too many elements in the scene graph.

We're currently using RichTextFX in our application and it gives us some
headaches (Can't wrap my head around the API, graphic errors under
Windows, etc.).

I haven't known about Gluon's RichTextArea before. May well be giving it
a try (but will have to check if commercial licensing is viable for us).

I have some editor building background myself: About 25 years ago, I
built the editor for a commercial IDE (SNiFF+ by TakeFive, then
Windriver, now Intel ...), which was written in C++ with ET++. This
editor was then ported to Java / Swing (called RED Editor)   which was
already open sourced.

About 6 years ago, I tried to "port" the RED Editor from Swing to JavaFX
(https://github.com/effad/rtefx). The attempt failed for two reasons: I
did not have the time to do it properly (Implementing a rich text
control is a lot of work) and JavaFX was just too closed at that time.

Robert