List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8308644: [Linux] Missing mappings for dead keys + Alt Gr [v5]
From:       Martin Fox <mfox () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2023-12-22 20:53:56

On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 11:45:30 GMT, Thiago Milczarek Sayao <tsayao@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > This PR adds missing key mappings for dead keys and fixes "Alt Gr" for some \
> > systems.
>
> Thiago Milczarek Sayao has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a \
> merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in \
> by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains 16 additional commits since the last \
> revision:
> - Minimize changes
> - Merge branch 'master' into gdk_to_glass_key_map
> - Forgot test code
> - Back to hash
> - Revert key lock change because it has different behaviour
> - Revert modifier change + Remove F13 -> F24
> - Remove print statement
> - Use GDK instead of X calls (to ease in a future wayland implementation)
> - Avoid sending unknown key event
> - GDK_META_MASK is not ALT
> - ... and 6 more: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/compare/97b01884...aad021a6

My apologies, I have been reviewing this but didn't get around to writing up my \
comments.

Currently JavaFX assumes that AltGr will be reported as Alt_R. On ISO keyboards \
(including U.K. English) AltGr is reported as ISO_Level3_Shift. On these keyboards \
ISO_Level3_Shift is also the only keyval that works if we want to target AltGr using \
a Robot. Just adding a second entry to the table isn't sufficient to fix that, \
currently the Robot will only attempt one code and at the moment it's Alt_R. I'll add \
AltGr to the KeyboardTest app, make sure ISO_Level3_Shift is in the table, and update \
the Robot code as part of fixing \
[JDK-8278924](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8278924).

I do want the dead key changes in at some point. There's no reason for us to \
misidentify keys when the changes are this easy and adding them to the table will \
enable testing of dead key handling using a Robot.