List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8315217 JavaFX: make Printer.printableArea(paper) public
From:       Kevin Rushforth <kcr () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2023-08-29 12:10:16

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 09:09:30 GMT, Florian Kirmaier <fkirmaier@openjdk.org> wrote:

> We sometimes want to access the printable area for a given paper.
> The printable area is currently defined in com.sun.javafx.print.PrinterImpl and we \
> would like to make it accessible to javafx.print.Printer. We would also return the \
> value in points instead of inches for a more consistent API.
>
> RFE:
> I have to create an RFE for it, correct?
> Any point of reference, on how to create one?

Two things:

1. As indicated in the [New features / API additions \
section](https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#new-features--api-additions) \
of the CONTRIBUTING guidelines, new API needs prior socialization on the openjfx-dev \
mailing list to see if there is general agreement that such a feature would be a \
benefit to applications. In the mean time, I am moving this PR to Draft. 2. An \
enhancement request titled "Make XXXX public" is rarely the right way to describe a \
new public API. The fact that there happens to be a non-public method that does \
something that applications might want to control is an implementation detail. From \
the viewpoint of the public API, there is no such method called XXXX. Instead, the \
title should describe the new method or feature that is missing and that you want to \
implement. It may seem like a small point, but it's an important distinction. To that \
end, please change the title of the JBS issue and this PR to something like "Add \
Printer.printableArea(Paper) method".

To answer the question you raised in the Description of this PR:

> I have to create an RFE for it, correct?

RFE stands for "Request For Enhancement". The JBS issue of type "Enhancement" is the \
RFE, so you have already created it. This Enhancement request will need a CSR as \
described in the above-referenced section of the CONTRIBUTING guidelines.