List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: Virtual Flow enhancements
From:       Johan Vos <johan.vos () gluonhq ! com>
Date:       2022-09-15 19:20:32

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 12:19 PM Dirk Lemmermann <dlemmermann@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> FlexGanttFX used to make this work via bidirectional bindings of the
> properties of the vertical scrollbars of both VirtualFlows. With the latest
> fixes to the VirtualFlow the assumption that two identically populated
> VirtualFlows would provide identical values to the ScrollBar properties is
> no longer true. The attempt to bind the "position" property also failed and
> a work-around that Johan provided also has not been successful, yet (a
> customer of mine is still evaluating it).

I don't know what work-around you refer to, but I often point to public
methods in VirtualFlow that, when properly combined, allow many usecases. I
sometimes see code where the information about the positioning of elements
in the VirtualFlow is obtained via the position of the scrollbar thumb,
which seems a really odd way to get this info (and especially unreliable as
the relation with the real positioning of cells is unspecified). There are
other methods on VirtualFlow that imho are better suited for
getting/setting information.
What I want to avoid is that we have 2 API's that almost achieve the same.
Hence, before considering a new method or property, I think we should make
sure that there is currently no existing (documented) way to achieve it. I
am pretty sure there are cases that can not be solved with the existing set
of API's, and those cases are exactly what I'm looking for.

- Johan