List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: Is it wise to use JavaFX 18 with JDK 17?
From:       Kevin Rushforth <kevin.rushforth () oracle ! com>
Date:       2022-03-28 12:37:41

Given that JavaFX is unbundled, and that JavaFX N released at or
slightly before the JDK N, you can always use JavaFX N with JDK N-1 or
later.

We haven't bumped the minimum JDK version needed to run JavaFX for quite
some time, which as noted, remains at JDK 11. I expect we will change
the minimum to JDK 17 at some point in the not-too-distant future, in
order to take advantage of JDK features added between JDK 12 and JDK 17.

As for how to know which version of JDK a particular version of JavaFX
runs on, check out the release notes for that release. Here is the one
for JavaFX 18:

https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/tree/jfx18/doc-files/release-notes-18.md

In the Introduction you will see "JavaFX 18 requires JDK 11 or later."

-- Kevin