List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8196065: ListChangeListener getRemoved() returns items that were not removed. [v10]
From:       Michael =?UTF-8?B?U3RyYXXDnw==?= <mstrauss () openjdk ! java ! net>
Date:       2021-06-27 13:19:09

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 12:45:35 GMT, Marius Hanl <mhanl@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Without the check, it would be possible to inspect the size without calling \
> > `next()` first.
>
> Right. But I want to understand why this was not there before.
>
> Is this needed, because if you didn't called `next()`, there is no change yet to \
> retrieve the removed size?

It is needed according to the documentation of `ListChangeListener.Change`:

_Important: It's necessary to call next() method before calling any other method of \
Change. The same applies after calling reset(). The only methods that works at any \
time is getList()._

Also, it intuitively makes sense: a `Change` can consist of any number of \
sub-changes, so you need to select a sub-change first by calling `next()` before any \
of the other methods can be meaningfully called.