List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: font color fringes on macOS, not a priority?
From:       Kevin Rushforth <kevin.rushforth () oracle ! com>
Date:       2021-02-26 18:02:11

Part of that 11+ minutes of the macOS build on GitHub Actions (which
starts from a clean machine) is downloading and installing the JDK and
other tools (gradle, etc), and cloning the repo. Also, incremental
builds are much faster after the first one. So even if you do a full
build once, subsequent builds for the debug-edit-build cycle is pretty
quick.

Phil might want to comment about the possibility of eliminating
sub-pixel (LCD) text entirely on macOS. If it does turn out to be
something worth doing, I note that macOS 10.13 is pretty old by now, so
that wouldn't be a compelling reason to hold off (as long as it doesn't
regress horribly).

As for Project Lanai, that isn't related to this issue. Lanai is an
implementation of the Java2D back end on Apple's Metal API (as an
alternative to OpenGL). See JEP 382 [1] for more information. We will
very likely do the same for FX starting in the not-too-distant future.

-- Kevin

[1] https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/382