List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    JavaFX 15 is in Rampdown Phase Two (RDP2)
From:       Kevin Rushforth <kevin.rushforth () oracle ! com>
Date:       2020-07-30 16:07:51

To: OpenJFX Developers

As a reminder, JavaFX 15 is now in Rampdown Phase Two (RDP2). [1]

P1-P2 bugs, and test or doc bugs of any priority, can be fixed during
RDP2. Explicit approval is needed for bug fixes (except for doc and test
fixes), and all enhancements to go in to the jfx15 branch. The bar for
approving bug fixes is appropriately high at this point. We do not
anticipate approving any more enhancements.

We will use the same rules for RDP2 that the JDK uses [2], with two
modifications:

1. Approval is needed from one of the OpenJFX project leads (not the
OpenJDK project lead)

2. Since we are not part of the JDK, we need to use labels that do not
collide with the JDK 15 release. As an obvious choice, derived from the
JBS fix version, we will use "openjfx15-fix-request",
"openjfx15-fix-yes", "openjfx15-fix-no" and "openjfx15-fix-nmi",
"openjfx15-enhancement-request", "openjfx15-enhancement-yes",
"openjfx15-enhancement-no" and "openjfx15-enhancement-nmi" as
corresponding labels.

Note that if a fix is approved to integrate into jfx15 (with the
appropriate approval label added by a lead), then the PR should be
targeted to the jfx15 branch. There is no need to also create a separate
PR to integrate it into master -- we will continue to periodically sync
jfx15 --> master for the duration of the openjfx15 release.

Now that we are in RDP2, the goal is to stabilize what is there, fixing
bugs that are new in openjfx15. We need to be extremely careful about
including anything that introduces risk.

IMPORTANT: Reviewers and Committers now have an extra responsibility to
double-check the target branch of each PR that they review, integrate,
or sponsor. By default a PR will be targeted to `master` which is the
main development line (OpenJFX 16 as of today). This is usually what we
want. A PR should be targeted to `jfx15` if, and only if, it is intended
for OpenJFX 15 and meets the criteria for the current rampdown phase
(we're in RDP2 as of today). Reviewers are advised to be extra cautious
in approving potentially risky fixes targeted to `jfx15`. If there is a
concern, then a reviewer can as part of the review indicate that the PR
should be retargeted to `master` for 16. Reviewers also need to be extra
careful when reviewing PRs targeted to jfx15 that it doesn't mistakenly
contain any commits from the master branch. You'll be able to tell
because the diffs will contain changes that are not part of the fix
being reviewed. Such a PR will either need to be closed and redone, or
it will need to be rebased and force-pushed.

Let me know if there are any questions.

-- Kevin

[1]
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/openjfx-dev/2020-March/025410.html