List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: [Approved] RFR: 8232158: [macOS] Fallback to command line tools if xcode is missing
From:       Johan Vos <jvos () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2019-10-23 7:43:07

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 05:52:33 GMT, Arunprasad Rajkumar <arajkumar@openjdk.org> wrote:

> 8232158: [macOS] Fallback to command line tools if xcode is missing
>
> ----------------
>
> Commits:
> - 063d2f38: JDK-8232158: [macOS] Fallback to command line tools if xcode is missing
>
> Changes: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jfx/pull/13/files
> Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/jfx/13/webrev.00
> Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8232158
> Stats: 33 lines in 1 file changed: 15 ins; 1 del; 17 mod
> Patch: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jfx/pull/13.diff
> Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jfx pull/13/head:pull/13

These things (retrieving locations and versions of OS-specific directories/settings \
and toolchains) are imho the most brittle of the whole end-to-end building. Mistakes \
here (e.g. wrong versions, wrong architectures) might lead to a number of almost \
inpredictable failures. I 100% agree the fallback is a great idea, but I am a bit \
worried that this change is in gradle and that we don't have tests for this.

Approved by jvos (Reviewer).