List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    openjfx contribution documentation
From:       "Cirujano Cuesta, Diego" <diego.cirujano-cuesta () zeiss ! com>
Date:       2018-12-03 8:12:01

Hi all!

We are surprised about the documentation of JavaFX. We could not make a tes=
t in openjfx running in the IDE:

We followed the following the instructions: https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/d=
isplay/OpenJFX/Building+OpenJFX

Here we used the following Ubuntu packages:

sudo apt install ksh libasound2-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev lib=
gstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libjpeg-dev     libpng-dev libx11-dev libxml2=
-dev libxslt1-dev libxt-dev     libxxf86vm-dev pkg-config x11proto-core-dev=
 x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev libavcodec-dev mercurial     libgtk2.0-dev libgtk=
-3-dev     libxtst-dev libudev-dev libavformat-dev

(1)We used libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev instead of =
versions 0.1 as specified in the documentation. We also achieve to build op=
enjfx in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS(without webview). Could we update the documentati=
on to Ubuntu 18.04?

$ bash ./gradlew

Builds correctly.

Following https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Committing+the+Code=
 :
$ bash ./gradlew clean sdk apps test -x :web:test

also works.

But when we try to develop in Intellij, it does not work properly. We follo=
wed the following steps:

https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Using+an+IDE#UsinganIDE-Using=
IntelliJIDEA

(2)And we cannot build in the IDE. Dependency problems. We achieved to make=
 it works somehow but it does not make sense to have the .idea in the repo =
if it does not work/help. It is confusing.

Could we update the documentation as I mention in (1) -I would do it but I =
do not have the rights/pull request to do it-, the gradle commands(make use=
 of the gradle wrapper), the .idea configuration(2).

I think documentation is very important and must be up-to-date. This is the=
 way to get contributions. We wanted to create 2 pull request but we spent =
the available time analyzing why the tests were not working.

I would like to create a VM with the javafx development setup(It will be ar=
ound 9GB). I think it will help to contribute to JavaFX. What do you think?

Thank you very much!

Diego