List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: implementing javafx accessibility for linux
From:       Michał_Zegan <webczat_200 () poczta ! onet ! pl>
Date:       2018-10-26 15:05:12

W dniu 26.10.2018 o  15:19, Kevin Rushforth pisze:
> Yes, JavaFX accessibility is being maintained for Windows and Mac. We
> have no plan to ever implement accessibility for Linux.
Why it is not planned to implement accessibility for linux? I would say
that the reasons to implement it are exactly the same as reasons to
implement javafx itself there. I am one of the people that would benefit
from that.

> The implementation of accessibility is in the glass windowing toolkit.
> If you are interesting in exploring it, you could take a look at the
> Windows and Mac implementations. Be aware that implementing
> accessibility for Linux would be a fairly large project that would
> require significant effort in implementation and testing. You would have
> do a proof of concept / prototype before we could evaluate whether it
> could be included into OpenJFX.
Well, not quite sure. I believe it requires implementing ATK interfaces
in a native library, and then hook it up to the subclass derived from
com.sun.glass.ui.Accessible, not sure if anything else is required
javafx side? Mapping of concepts between atk and javafx may be tricky,
but shouldn't be impossible.
Also i was wondering about implementing atk accessible window interface.
It seems to me like javafx does not even treat windows as accessible
objects, rather it starts from the scene level... However atk doesn't
have concept similar to a scene, and actually fires events on things
like window activated/deactivated/maximized.
I am not yet planning to implement anything, but trying to look into how
much work/efford would it require in case I would like to do this.