List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: Setting the FreeType LCD filter
From:       Philip Race <philip.race () oracle ! com>
Date:       2018-09-30 21:03:58

Hi,

Your explanation makes sense.
Compile time linking is probably best so long as we can verify that
the function is available on all the platforms we need to build & run on
.. notably
older versions of OEL&RHEL.

Failing that, then as well as adding ".6" we should initialise

     jint rc =-1;

instead of to zero .. so that failure to find the function isn't confused
as failure *of* the function, which in a nutshell, seems to be the bug here.
And I suppose we have the same bug on "older" systems where the freetype library is
found but lack the symbol.

Is there no JBS bug id already open on this ? If one was closed as not reproducible,
we can re-open it. Better than creating a new one.

-phil.